Media Buzz

• So Mane is top with 4 stories all saying he would swap his champions league medal for an Afcon win.

Neymar is second with 14 stories all saying he is rejoining Barcelona.

I dont hold either but how is that fair?

Edit: The mane story dated Tue 25th Jun 12:35 isn't even on the Daily stars page when I look for it either.

• Someone posted something recently but about buzz words with in a head line and how they are used to calculate a score.

I hold awb so I'm a bit frustrated with it today but it's the same for everyone and it's never gonna be perfect because its always gonna be objective rather than subjective.

• Is it the same for everyone though? Mane's top story dated at 12.35 isn't even on the football page of the Star.

• Ok now I'm pissed off, manes on 660, and 520 are for 4 of the same story about a throw away comment he apparently made

• @speedloafer

Good explanation of Media buzz in the below thread created by Misto.

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/5017/all-things-football-index/180

• @MickTurbo said in Media Buzz:

Ok now I'm pissed off, manes on 660, and 520 are for 4 of the same story about a throw away comment he apparently made

Surely most of AWB's stories are about a transfer to Man United? If it's reported then it has to be included, you can't have it all ways.

There is a description in the stickied thread about how mb scoring works and this is the link to the words that score points https://github.com/fnielsen/afinn/blob/master/afinn/data/AFINN-en-165.txt. Well worth getting acquainted with, having th ewords Champions and win in the Mane headlines is scoring him a load of points.

• @Joev Is that really how they work out the scores?

So its -1 if attack if mentioned. That makes sense....

• @speedloafer said in Media Buzz:

@Joev Is that really how they work out the scores?

Yes it is. There's more depth on the master thread but basically all the scores for applicable words are added together. If it is a negative total it is halved and then flipped to a positive. Then you add 1 point (for being mentioned) and multiply by 20 and that's the score.

You say about attack but how often does that feature in a headline as a positive? I would say it's much more likely to be negative in a headline although will feature more positively in the articles themselves. This has to be a much better way of doing it than subjectively deciding what stories are worth what, imagine the outcry every day if that was the system. Not perfect of course, Sterling's pretty low scores during the racism storm as they were all negative stories so worth less show this, but it's the best way I can think of.

As ever there are a few little things to keep an eye on and potentially profit from. United is worth a point which gives Man U players slightly higher scores and then words like champions score well so there are extra points to be had around Champions League games as well as players called Victor etc. For example "Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof targeting Champions League return" is worth 140 points, compared to "Arsenal defender Nacho Monreal targeting Champions League return" which would only be worth 60.

• @Joev said in Media Buzz:

@speedloafer said in Media Buzz:

@Joev Is that really how they work out the scores?

Yes it is. There's more depth on the master thread but basically all the scores for applicable words are added together. If it is a negative total it is halved and then flipped to a positive. Then you add 1 point (for being mentioned) and multiply by 20 and that's the score.

You say about attack but how often does that feature in a headline as a positive? I would say it's much more likely to be negative in a headline although will feature more positively in the articles themselves. This has to be a much better way of doing it than subjectively deciding what stories are worth what, imagine the outcry every day if that was the system. Not perfect of course, Sterling's pretty low scores during the racism storm as they were all negative stories so worth less show this, but it's the best way I can think of.

As ever there are a few little things to keep an eye on and potentially profit from. United is worth a point which gives Man U players slightly higher scores and then words like champions score well so there are extra points to be had around Champions League games as well as players called Victor etc. For example "Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof targeting Champions League return" is worth 140 points, compared to "Arsenal defender Nacho Monreal targeting Champions League return" which would only be worth 60.

Just realised I worked these out incorrectly. "Defender" is worth another couple of points so those headlines would be worth 200 and 100 points respectively. I was prompted to looking into this when I saw that Lindelof has a story worth 140 points despite not a lot in it.

Don't want to go on about him too much but as far as I'm aware (without looking through all the squad players) he'd currently be top for MB so far today on the back of a few stories linking him with Barcelona. If he stays at Man United then he's potential MB gold, any headline that starts with "Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof" or similar is worth 140 points already! People buy PB players around the same price and would be happy with a win a season from them, once MB is open to all I can see him winning divs from that a few times a season easily.

• Richarlison has 40 points today for saying he likes pretty girls.

• Is mb frozen or is it a slow news day? Diesnt appear to have changed at all since early afternoon

• @MickTurbo fine by me as a tammy abraham holder. Thank god the stories arent about racism or no doubt we'd have to usual 'how is this allowed to happen' discussion.

• 0_1572995659095_Screenshot_20191105-231215_Chrome.jpg

I bet they credit jorginho as MB winner for today. Then they'll have to amend it and pay andre gomes as well.

Fine by me as a holder of both 💰

• @MickTurbo still showing Gomes on circa 800 for me at top

• @Ddr It's gone back to fresh start at 11pm for me every night since the clocks went back.

• @MickTurbo that's peculiar, I cant say I've noticed but I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened once for me......what platform are you using? Am wondering if it's just affecting apple users or something? Do you know of anyone else having this happen and have you told fi so they can fix the issue?

• @Ddr I'm pretty sure I've seen other ppl mention it as well but cant remember who it was. No I havent bothered contacting FI mate, I might as well tell the dog

• @MickTurbo pretty sure I just pissed myself a bit with laughter then

• @MickTurbo said in Media Buzz:

@Ddr I'm pretty sure I've seen other ppl mention it as well but cant remember who it was. No I havent bothered contacting FI mate, I might as well tell the dog

😂😂😂😂😂😂👏🏻