I’ve been away and logged in to monitor the index whilst I’ve been abroad, but never actually traded from abroad. So it’s fine for logging in as far as I’m aware but I don’t want to risk it
Posts made by Golfing Grandad
RE: Who are the last two players you bought and why?
@Pierrey2129 said in Who are the last two players you bought and why?:
@NewUser108616 @2overpriced players, let me know how that one works out for you
Ah man anyone else miss Steve?! Alway good entertainment with a cutting retort... Where's he at anyone know?
Was wondering this myself. Was always good reading on the toilet...reading the toilet he used to come out with to everyone!
RE: America to legalise sports betting
- New team has launched in Atlanta this past year and they get 60,000 watching their home games.
- Zlatan has been on the top chat shows in the country that are watched by millions as he’s promoting the game over there.
- The volume of LFC and Man United fans in USA is stupidly high, which is also why big clubs target it as a major market for their summer tours.
- If Pulisic moves to one of the above sides, then they’ll have a home grown superstar to use a vehicle to market the hell out of the game more than it’ll ever have been before (probably second only to USA ‘94).
- As someone correctly pointed out earlier in the thread, it’s a very good way for the smaller people in USA to become sportsmen as the normal sports there are generally reserved for 6ft 5 and above...this, alongside heavily publicised injuries to NFL players, is showing a shift towards these sorts of sports in schools/Sunday sports for kids as adults are wanting their kids to play sport without getting badly hurt.
- Football loved in US as women’s team has been highly successful for a number of years so clearly played/coached well.
Potential in USA for football is massive. Will take a long time for the gambling laws to properly relax so that FI can step in and make some gains over there, so won’t be anything remotely soon on here, but don’t discount the game in the US with the normal ‘it’s behind the nfl and basketball’ argument.
RE: Are you happy with your portfolio?
Like many I guess at this stage, my smaller priced players (whom I mainly picked up for transfers) are propping up the losses on the big players so it’s a mixed bag. Can’t see myself ever being completely happy with the portfolio...and my decision to let Salah go at £8 (thinking City would win the CL tie) always hurts when I see the Top 200 increase lists...
RE: Adam Lallana - Chances for place in England World Cup Squad?
If you think that he’s going to drop to £1, why would you buy in at £1.40? Don’t take this as a blunt response as it’s not, I’m just wondering your thinking that’s all.
I’ve also put him on my watch list alongside some other injured players who’s prices have dropped since their injuries, so I’m interested in your thoughts regarding Lallana. I’d be surprised if he makes the plane as Southgate can’t possibly take a guy who’s played about 5 minutes this year - people are saying Wilshere might not make it as he’s not played enough yet he’s had a decent run of matches until last week.
RE: Is the World Cup good or bad for the Index?
@Chicken-Badge with Ronaldo being 33, I don’t think it matters as much with him considering he’s in better shape than most other top players who are between 23-28 (the normally quoted peak years). Science has moved on, top players who look after themselves can still play beyond 33 whereas 10-15 years ago they were on their final contract in Qatar.
His ego also has to play a part in people’s judgment of him - I believe he wants to set a Champions League record that won’t ever be matched, he’ll want to set the La Liga record so it won’t ever be matched (with Messi going back to Argentina for his final year then he’ll see this as an opportunity) and he also wants to be the overall top international goal scorer (think he needs about 20 so that’s a WC, a qualifying campaign and a Euros and he should be there).
When people quote Zlatan as a reason why old players are high risk, I understand that point, but he was injured in April and was back by November. An ACL takes out most players for 9 months and he was out for 7 (above point about players who look after themselves well into their thirties). Zlatan is a journeyman (albeit highly successful) who doesn’t spend any time at one club, Ronaldo is an icon at Madrid/globally and will want to continue setting records so he can hold claim to be the greatest that ever lived. That’s the distinction that can be drawn between Ronaldo and the example of Zlatan that is always brought out.
With regards to his price, he’s a valuable asset, so I can see why people hold him. I also hold him, but not to a massive extent as I’ve spread my portfolio very wide, so this isn’t a defence of my own choices/portfolio, I’m just stating why I believe that people would have that mindset.
RE: Is nobody on here concerned?
@SMacFI I haven’t read the terms and conditions regarding this but not seen anything anywhere (forum and twitter) where people have said it isn’t allowed. Maybe there’s a time frame where it qualifies so people doing it 3 weeks before...this is just me speculating. I’d like to actually know the answer 🤷🏻♂️